A BA thesis is required for all Environmental and Urban Studies majors. The thesis gives students a valuable opportunity to conduct extended research, writing, and analysis on a topic of particular significance to them. Not only a capstone to their years of study at Chicago, the BA thesis also offers students a chance to clarify plans for future education and life experience or the choice of a career path.
Frequently, undergraduates who write and reason well are nevertheless unaccustomed to directing their own academic inquiry from within by formulating and conducting a research project from start to finish. The Program therefore offers significant faculty guidance and support in these independent projects. For this purpose, students choose expert advisors from University departments and elsewhere in Chicago and receive mentorship from Program faculty.
Some theses are not only self-styled but may take students to far-off places, both geographically and intellectually. The results are often remarkable in their scope and creativity.
Required BA Timeline
- Attend 3rd year BA meeting at the end of 7th week of Winter quarter
- Meet with BA preceptor by the end of 4th week of Spring quarter
- Submit BA Topic Form by the end of 8th week Spring quarter
- Register for either ENST 29801 in Autumn quarter or ENST 29802 in Winter quarter
- Submit final BA thesis to preceptor and faculty adviser by the end of week 2, Spring quarter
- Submit bound copy of final thesis to the department by the end of week 7, Spring quarter
- Attend BA Thesis Poster Presentation during reading period of Spring quarter
All forms for the BA Thesis can be found here.